Thursday, December 11, 2014

Local Man Doesn't Know Whether To "Like" Friend's Facebook Status Announcing Grandmother's Death

By James J. Hamilton
PITTSBURGH—Local software programmer Jake Stanton reported feelings of crippling uncertainty earlier this morning when faced with the decision whether or not to "like" a friend's Facebook status announcing the friend's grandmother's death.

Stanton was browsing Facebook at work around 9:00 AM this morning when his friend and former college roommate David Peterson posted a status revealing that his grandmother had just passed away following a bout with cancer. All of a sudden, Stanton found himself in a quandary.

"I definitely don't 'like' that his grandma died," said Stanton. "I mean, I'm not happy about it or anything. But I do want to 'like' the idea of extending Dave my condolences in this difficult time." However, Stanton questioned how a "like" would be perceived in this situation: "I'm just worried it's going to come across as 'YOUR GRANDMA DIED? LOL NICE!'" 

The nature of his relationship with Peterson reportedly made Stanton even more unsure. "I don't know. Dave and I aren't really that close anymore. We haven't kept up much since college." Stanton stated that he had never met Peterson's grandmother and didn't even know she was sick, but quickly added: "To be clear: I wish she hadn't died. Although Dave said her pain was over now and she was in a better place, so maybe it's a good thing she died? I'm so confused."

At press time, Stanton said he was leaning toward liking the status but planned to wait until later in the day and see how many other people liked it before making a final decision.